Every project starts with a free consultation to talk about your aims. At that time we discuss what kind of project you want to proceed with. We discuss how I collect your stories through interviews, look at photos with you, and decide if other friends or family will be involved in the project.
And it will be a project – we have a formal start, then we get to work with interviews, and we wrap up with drafts for you to approve, and end with a celebration. Working together as productive collaborators, we will decide each step of the project, and what needs to be included. We will check our calendars to schedule dates and times for interviews, and estimate a completion date of your personal history project.
Check out the way a personal historian can help you achieve your aims with the range of Services
We will discuss your budget, and what you can achieve with your budget. I like to work with a written agreement that puts down on paper exactly what we have agreed to – the project cost and payment schedule, your aims and my responsibilities.
Steps Along the Way
Together we will take these steps during your personal history project:
- Project planning. We will decide each step of the project, and what needs to be included. We will check our calendars to schedule dates and times for interviews, and anticipated end date of your personal history project
- Interviews. I am a skilled listener who can shape narrative to ensure your legacy stories are documented
- Photo compilation. We will spend time looking through your photo collection to choose those images to be included in your personal history
I will be responsible for ensuring the successful completion of your personal history by working on these aspects:
- Researching. Your personal stories will have more context when I document the events that co-existed at the time
- Transcribing. Your interview will be expertly transcribed to written form
- Writing. Using your interview transcriptions to weave a story of your life
- Photos. Ensuring important photos are included
- Printing. Choosing a format for publication and hiring a printer to bring your book to life